Saturday, December 30, 2006

Should I Tell Them I Am Blind?

This question has been coming to mind lately simply because of some discrimination I have been receiving. I was on the Warrior Forum which is found at www.warriorforum.com, and I had asked for ways to get more clientele for my web business. Well, it came out that I was blind because I had no shame in telling them. I thought it would be an incredible thing to share. However, things backfired in my face. It all started like this:

1. I started the thread asking for help getting clientele. Most were very nice and helpful. Then, there was one guy who told me that point blank, “Blind people can’t be web designers because it is a visual business.” Trying not to lose my mind, I politely posted back to him that they could and I was living proof. It is hard: but, it can be done if the blind person doing the job knows how to properly utilize assistive technology and has knowledge of how the computer works. And, I'm talking more than just basic knowledge that everyone has. You not only need to know the ins and outs of the computer: but, you need to learn to utilize other software along with a knowledge of html coding.
2. Then, because days leading up to this, people were asking many questions, I decided to start a thread titled, “How Can A Blind Person …” This meant that forum members could ask any questions they wanted. While people asked many questions, I was rudely bashed by a lady in the forum who had a chip on her shoulder. She not only said I could not master the visual aspect of things: but, she heaped insults at me. I then, asked her to stop and told her I would not continue this discussion. Others came to my defense, the thread was locked meaning that nobody could reply or make new posts, and shortly after—two days later—I was deleted from the forum.


So, I thought I’d share this story with you all to raise an important question. Should they know I’m blind? That’s a hard one but here goes what I think.

It would all have to depend on what industry you are in. Sure it is okay to share that you are a blind person doing this work which would in turn make people think you are remarkable. But, there are times I don’t even mention it. For example, I may send press release articles to certain web sites promoting my business. Surely the media will promote that and people will think it is beyond belief that a blind person is doing all of this. Though we blind people know it is not remarkable to have independence, freedom, and a business: but, we have to use other’s ignorance to our advantage. If people want to believe we are so remarkable, then let them. That will give the blind business owner the free publicity needed for business promotion and the fuel needed for company survival.

However, when I am talking to one of my customers, especially in my web designing business, I do not tell them I am blind unless they inquire about it. I'll let my work speak for me: then, after they see what I can do, I'll tell them after the job is done. But, telling them up front will not only have them box you in: but, they will have a wrong judgmental view of you or of what you can do. Why? Simply because you are blind.

I use the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” rule. What they don’t ask for should not be revealed thus saving you much discrimination. However, when you have gained much credibility, tell the world about your blindness. But starting out new, especially if you are in the web designing industry, say nothing unless asked. Many people, and I am finding out this myself, will not want a blindnperson to design their site. So, keep in mind that loose lips sank ships, and just be natural. That is helping me.

Then, you may ask yourself how to hide it. First of all, if you utilize jaws, turn your computer all the way down or wear head phones. If you are reading slowly because you have to listen to jaws a few worlds at a time. Let the customer know you are taking a careful look at things. That isn’t a lie, you really are! But, if they hearsomething in the background—your speech software that is—tell them. There is no point in lying because now, they have asked and you should tell. See the point?

I truly hope this has helped out. This is just something to think about. Please post your comments or opinions. All are welcome. You can even if you don’t have a blog account with Blog Spot. Just post as anonymous. Selection that option and you can post a comment if you'd like.

3 comments:

Mumbo Jumbo said...

Wow! I'm speechless.
My hat's off to you.

I think generally people are ignorant and a lot of times prejudice until they've experienced something theirselves. I think like you said, if they don't ask, don't tell them. Let your work speak for itself.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Don't disappear.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What did they think about Johannes, you highly gifted 3.5 year old child? Maybe they thought you were so amazing you must be a troll.