Thursday, May 17, 2007

Get What You Want But Not At the Expense of Others

Is there something you want in life? Have there been people that have told you that it is impractical perhaps because of circumstance? I am sure that many of you have gone through that. Just let me share something with you about how you can get what you want but not at the expense of others. My personal experience may inspire you.

Not only am I blind, folks, but I also suffer from a condition that could potentially become life threatening if left unchecked. What’s worse, ninety percent of the medical community in the United States doesn’t even recognize this condition which has left thousands of individuals to life a life of pain or die of what they feel are unknown causes. Anyway, because I suffer this condition along with being blind, I’ve had several individual—well meaning—tell me that I could not hold my own enterprise. Not only that, several family and friends, out of concern for me, have told me that I should not work too much so I can keep my benefits. Well, I understand where they are coming from: however, I don’t share their sentiment or opinions. Yes, I have a harsh condition to live with: but, I’d be darn if I lessen myself to someone’s standards, especially of that of our crooked government, to get healthcare and other things, and I’d be darned if I let this wretched condition take over my life. Sure, there are limitations: but, if I can do something, such as work and potentially make killer profit, then what is the harm in doing that? Nothing. All too often there are thousands of people who are on welfare or taking disability benefits who have no business doing so. I think that it is noble of me to move over and let someone else have a chance, especially if I know I can do it on my own.

I have been harshly criticized by family and friends for my choice: but, I let it go because I know that where there is a will there is a way. Some have even scorned me saying that they don’t want to hear it from me since I’m impractical. But, what they fail to realize is that practicality is what keeps some from getting where they want to in life. I know several very ill individuals—yes, worse off than me—who have done great things, and I’m sure they were scorned also. I’m sure many have told them that they should not do what they had their minds set to do because they were too sick: or, because it isn’t in their best interest. Did they listen, No way! They found a way. Just do the research, and you’ll find several individuals. Why should a disease cripple creativity?

Many of you all know my character as I’m well known. And, you know that I’m not one to focus on the impossible and take no for an answer. Had I done this, I would not be where I am now. How many times have people told me that just because I am blind, I’d never be anything or do anything. All of this was said out of ignorance of course, and I pity those dear people as there are so terribly misguided: but, I didn’t care. I now do some web designing, coaching, I’ve wrote two books that I have yet to market and could sell in the millions since my topics are hot, and I hold a major job as a writer and editor. Also, I’m striving to own a home which many have thought was foolish. Some have asked me if I could live on my own. I’m sure many of you got this asked to you as well. I just tell the that just because I’m blind doesn’t mean I need a babysitter. Us blind folk are quite capable of managing our own affairs. This shows what they know. Possibilities are endless if you have the right attitude. Where would I be right now if I had listened to well meaning family and friends? On welfare not optimizing my life to it’s full potential, struggling to survive as you know that just because the government sets these crazy figures in place of how much you can’ make, they don’t care that they are making it impossible to survive and meet your daily needs as those cost money nor will they provide substitutes which means you’ll need to just stand on your own two feet if you can and are capable, and I’d be living on section eight housing in a bad area. I won’t be in that position, and you all don’t have to be either.

As I continue to keep on climbing, I am in danger of losing my benefits within the next month or so. Am I scared? No! I’m not scared because there is always a way. Many have told me to “think practically”: but, sometimes, thinking practically has been what hinders me from getting what I want when I want it and from achieving great things. In the eyes of many, I’ve not thought in a way that they feel is practical, and look at me, I’m doing it. If I lose my benefits and can find nothing good, there is always the alternative of moving overseas which I have already tried. I’m saving to do this now as a matter of fact should it be necessary. You are probably asking, What in the world is the point of all of this? Let me explain.

The point is, you can get what you want when you want without it being at the expense of other people. Many feel you have to hurt others, push them down, step on their throats, and much worse to get the place they want in life. I am proud to say that I’ve never hurt anyone to reach my goals which is probably why I’m so well known as an upright individual who cares for the welfare of others. Here are some ways I’ve gotten what I want;

1. Have a dream and keep envisioning it. If you keep a picture in your mind of what you dream to have and believe it will happen, you’ll get it. It is called the “Law of Attraction,” and it has helped millions. People have found that when they believe in something happening and set goals for making that dream come true, it really works out. I’d recommend you watch “The Secret” for more on this.
2. Make connections. This is especially easy if you are a type A personality and a go-getter as I am. I go out always having the mindset that I will establish a connection where both parties can benefit. I’ll offer a service that I am expert at in exchange for theirs. Not only that, connections have helped me to get many other things besides service. There are so many great benefits from making connections. Just get out there and make yourself known. Let people know who you are. NO, don’t take the in your face approach when going about it for that will turn people off in a heartbeat, and you’ll never get a connection. Just have casual conversations, feel the person out, take a personal interest in them, and then mention somewhere within the conversation who you are and what you do. It has always worked for me. I also find that doing it in a humble fashion is more attractive.
3. Be assertive. Living with a handicap may cause many not to take us seriously. Sometimes just being sweet and nice gets us nothing as they’ll continue to ignore us. So, what needs to be done is, firmly make your point known and let them know that they were ignoring you and you know that. On many occasions, this has helped. Don’t confuse it for being rude because you are not. You are just merely making your point known, an they have no business ignoring you. It is assertiveness that gets one somewhere in life, and it is assertiveness that let’s people know you are more than an invalid citizen and that you have a life that is worth living. Many of you all, if not all of you, can relate to this one.
4. Search the net for common interest groups. There is always a chat group online that will share your interest. Get active and see what resources they can offer you. I’m an Internet marketer and I’m big in the online communities that share my occupation and interests. And, it is in those communities that I’ve gotten my resources as well as the encouragement to strive for success. Additionally, I’ve gotten tools and software because I’ve developed a relationship and an alliance with several there. We look out for one another and help each other reach our goals. It’s wonderful.

If things look bleak for you, think positive and remember, you can get what you want but not at the expense of others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, you're anything but humble. (grin)

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.christianlouboutintosale.co.uk]christian louboutin outlet online[/url] At the end of the month, we post a roundup on both our blogs, giving your recipe double the exposure and offering a one-stop shop for health conscious readers and cooks.. [url=http://www.vanesabrunosacparis.fr/]vanessa bruno sac[/url] Ahffmhrky [url=http://www.oakleysunglassessforcheap.com/]oakley sunglass stores[/url]
eifaqc 131373 [url=http://www.oakleyssunglassessoutlet.com/]oakley sunglass bag[/url] 485214 [url=http://www.cheapsoakleysunglassess.com/]oakley sunglass bag[/url]